Facebook IPO

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Facebook IPO

Post by veryolfart on Thu May 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Tomorrow, Mark with become a billionaire. The IPO price, IMHO, should be around $28 a share. However, opening prices often are much higher than the true value of the business for a few days. The better judgement of Facebooks value will be seen after the spectulators jump in and unload and the longer term stock holders settle down for the longer run. As with most, if not all tech firms, the next generation of products are already entering the market place. How Facebook adapts now that it is a public product will determine its realistic stock pricing. Unfortunately, speculators often create and live off minipulating the minute-by-minute price. The quantity of stock being offered is also key to the value. I'll hold off for 30 45 days before I determine if its something I want to get into. I got bit in the last Dot-Com bubble but have regained much of my revenue. Now if I could just dump my financial (Bank) stock in J.P. Morgan and a few others.
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Re: Facebook IPO

Post by mrsd1963 on Thu May 17, 2012 6:06 pm

I don't understand the stock market but I'm kind of ticked that the co founder is/has renounced his US citzenship. How much money do billionaires really want? I'd be happy to pay taxes on it, and then do some good for people, after me and family were taken care of.
mrsd1963

Back to top Go down

Post by veryolfart on Mon May 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Well, that proved to be a bunch of hype. Like I said, it was over-priced. I still believe it will be a good deal at around $25-28. I haven't even thought of getting any yet. I want to see the quarterly earnings before I get any of the stuff.
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsd1963 on Tue May 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Yeah, as I've read about it I was thinking what you said.
mrsd1963

Back to top Go down

Post by veryolfart on Wed May 23, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm sitting here chuckling about the sour grapes coming from some of the banker/investors. It seems as though they are planning on sewing Facebook. I knew the price was too high, and many in the market field pointed this out. However, greed overcame common sense. Basically, those who bought into the hype deserve what they got. Wall street works in a very strange world, especally over the last 30 years. There are those who still follow Mr. Gracko's mantra: "Greed is good." I will venture to say that the value of Facebook will settle in at around $24 and will change the way they create revenue (profit) for the investor. P.T. Barnum was right: "There a sucker born every minute."
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsd1963 on Wed May 23, 2012 5:07 pm

I read they're thinking insider information to select clients??
mrsd1963

Back to top Go down

Post by veryolfart on Wed May 23, 2012 7:21 pm

The only benefit to insider trading is having the ability to run up the price and then sell short (Betting the price will fall). more money can be made by doing this than by long-term holding. While the market price per share lowers, the margin for profit taking increases. Basically, it's a case of money chasing money with little, if any, interest in capital investment.

Here's the skinny: when you short sell a stock, your broker will lend it to you. The stock will come from the brokerage's own inventory, from another one of the firm's customers, or from another brokerage firm. The shares are sold and the proceeds are credited to your account. Sooner or later, you must "close" the short by buying back the same number of shares (called covering) and returning them to your broker. If the price drops, you can buy back the stock at the lower price and make a profit on the difference. If the price of the stock rises, you have to buy it back at the higher price, and you lose

Last edited by veryolfart on Wed May 23, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added information)
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsd1963 on Thu May 24, 2012 1:54 pm

Had to read that a few times, but I think I get it. Guess you gotta be smart, lucky or dishonest. Shocked
mrsd1963

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top