Ye Old Coffee Shop
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obama's challenge

2 posters

Go down

Obama's challenge Empty Obama's challenge

Post by veryolfart Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:47 pm

It is interesting to watch as this parade of wannabees battle over the presidency. Each try to use talking-points that excite any one of a number of "Special interest" groups. What we should have learned over the years is that, as Ricky Nelson pointed out in 'Garden party', you can't please everyone; ya gotta please yourself. IMHO, the question of our current President is more favoriable than unfavoriable. Recognizing the plate of food he was handed upon entering office, he has made an effort to find reasoned and well thought out solutions. This is in marked difference to the "Shoot from the hip" approach by our last President. The prevailing challenge President Obama has had to face is that change does not "Just happen". When change is sought, conflict is inevitable. The opposition, however, developed a postion of non-compromise and the resulting stalemate stagnated many opportunities to find solution. There are no easy solutions to our nations problems and the tenor of dialogue we hear on a daily bases overshadows the steady growth (renewal) in America's future. In some circles, there is the underlying influence of the Elephant in the room that no one dares to speak of.
veryolfart
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Obama's challenge Empty Re: Obama's challenge

Post by bogofree Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:26 am

The current failed administration has clearly demonstrated a level of ineptness that can only be exceeded by the previous failed administration. America can survive 16 years of failure just as we survived the "Dough Faces" of the 1850s.

Obama will get elected since the Republicans have offered no alternatives.

IMO the stagnation in Washington is a leadership void and that is the responsibility of the President. When the children fight in the playpen daddy has to step in. Daddy is on a hiatus.

bogofree

Back to top Go down

Post by veryolfart Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:33 pm

Your analogy is rather accurate IMO. When trying to play to the audience, as we have seen for several administrations, we also must acknowledge that the legislative branch of government has, as you so clearly pointed out, can't, or won't play together for the common good. I will, with tongue in cheek, say that a good benevolent dictator might need to step in ( kinda like the Nuns in the Catholic school. Man, that ruler really hurt.) silent
veryolfart
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Post by bogofree Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Right now it is a quagmire in D.C. One of the mistakes by the Obama Administration and the Democrats was to interpret 2008 as a mandate - it wasn't. It was a total condemnation of policies that were not fluid or consistent and the Republicans took a huge hit.

That was returned in 2010 with an obvious disgust on the part of the electorate. Now there is just turmoil and the blame game will be in full force by both sides. They can't quite comprehend why so many have an (I) on the voting records.

My candidate did not win the presidency in 2008 but maybe "Mr. Blank" will win in 2012?

A benevolent dictator is something you have mentioned a few times and I wonder if a personality cult could form around a presidential candidate in the next decade or so that will restore a balance. Legislative seems to be in control last eight years or so.

bogofree

Back to top Go down

Post by veryolfart Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Very interesting that you mentioned a "Personality cult" forming. If it is the form of a Nationalistic movement, one ought to be keenly aware of the NAZI party. The closest thing we may have experienced would be the FDR years. Another option would be in shifting toward a Theocratic rule. Given the last several election cycles, the rise of the "Right-wing, Conservative Evangalical Christian" voting block may find this a viable option. Fortunately, extremism, however perceived, often fails to sustain itself for long. The pendulum swings and at some point the primary central ideology of who we, as Americans, are, finds its balance. I have hope. We ought to remind ourselves that when every change occures, conflict is always a result.
veryolfart
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Post by bogofree Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:35 pm

As an atheist that is the one significant element that makes me drift away from some of the Republican platform. Usually the country ends up being centrist. I can't see evangelicals having much traction.

We have had our share of a personality cult but it usually revoves around things like Elvis. lol!

Times get really tough is where the problems happen. Then you can get a far left/right screwball in charge.

bogofree

Back to top Go down

Post by veryolfart Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:40 pm

BINGO cheers
veryolfart
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Post by veryolfart Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:25 pm

I have observed that over the last 30 years or so, the political conversation often includes religious retoric. First I must say that there is a vast difference between "Religion" and "Faith". I will not get into a discussion regarding Faith. However, most people may have a confused understanding what is "Religion". Religion is a set of beliefs that are culture-bound and contains a number of elements as such: Tradition, Custom, Language, Heirarchy of leadership, Rites of passage, to just name a few. It is this set of beliefs that bind a culture together. America is a society made up on numerious cultures and, as such, many sets of religious beliefs. The founding Fathers understood this and Monroe and Jefferson wanted to clearify the role of the State. Hence we have in the first Ammendment the following phrase:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, . . .

Nowhere does the Separation of Church and State exist in the Constitution or the Amendments. Nevertheless, there are those that use this as a mantra that more often than not, causes a devisive confrontation. While Congress has no interest in this, there are those who would want Faith-based precepts written into the law. This would be unconstitutional IMO. The President, whoever it is, must tread a fine line when issues become part of the (and I use the term incorrectly here) religious dialogue. Thank you for allowing me to share this and I look forward to any opinions you may have. Like Will Rogers once said, "The difference of opinion is what makes hores-racers and missionaries."
veryolfart
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Post by bogofree Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:21 pm

I do believe that separation is how it is viewed although not explicitly set out. But religion has always been part of the political debate since religion (church) has influence with their "flocks." And when public policy conflicts with religious doctrine they speak out as clearly being demonstrated of late by evangelicals and Catholics.

Thankfully we do not have religion, economics and government all in virtually the same sphere as you do with so many Muslim nations and was so present in the past with many western nations.

I do believe Henry VIII was very clear on his own vision of separation of church and state.

bogofree

Back to top Go down

Post by veryolfart Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Ya, he kinda got the ball rolling on that issue Wink
veryolfart
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Post by bogofree Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:39 pm

He got a head up on it. Henry was a cut above the rest.

bogofree

Back to top Go down

Post by veryolfart Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:34 pm

No, some of his wives got the head up and the cut above. Rolling Eyes
veryolfart
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Post by bogofree Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:57 pm

I will avoid comments about "Good head." Embarassed

bogofree

Back to top Go down

Post by veryolfart Thu May 24, 2012 7:04 pm

Now that several weeks have passed, we are beginning to see how the two candidates are slinging barbs at each other. The leading issue is of course, the Economy. One says he will get unemployment down to 6% while the other is preaching about everyone paying their fair share. The simple truth is, is that the President has very limited power to do anything truly significant. The power lies with the Legislative branch of our government. Since they are apparently unwilling or incapable of forming policies that are for the common good of our society, I fear we will continue on a steady decline. I am not a fatalist by any means. What I am saying is that there has been a shift in our society that has been influenced greatly by the realization we may no longer be the "Top Dog" in the fight. There are some things that are beyond our control and that is an unsettling thought to many. The question: Are you better off now that 4 years ago? For me at least, the answer is very much so; inspite of government.
veryolfart
veryolfart

Back to top Go down

Post by bogofree Thu May 24, 2012 7:36 pm

I am better off but most are not and I am speaking in economic terms. My own investment strategy has limited my exposure to extended losses.

At the executive level the last 11.5 years has been a bitter disappointment with an void in leadership especially with a chaotic congress. I do not see any significant change at the executive level with either another failed term for Obama or a term of little consequence from Romney. Congress has reverted to a collection whose sole goal is self interest using the famed blame game.

Europe is now in the throes of a second recession or just an extension of the first one. Governments attempt to come to grips with policies instituted decades ago with a bill now to be paid that can't be paid without significant personal sacrifice. Asian countries have their own issues as Japan - once the budding big kid on the block - is now faded into a 20 year morass. China is starting to flounder.

That steady decline - IMHO - is universal.

bogofree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum